Last year in Florida over 15,000 Big Brothers and Big Sisters reached out and offered a youth the gift of friendship. Volunteers mentor as a Big Brother, Big Sister or a Big Couple. Volunteers join the Magic from the corporate world, retirement, high schools and colleges, faith communities and neighborhoods.
What is a Mentor??
- Someone who spends their time with a young person in the community or in the youth’s school
- Someone who shares their knowledge, experience, insights, humor and friendship
- Someone who has a sincere desire and commitment to help a young person define and achieve their goals
- Someone who listens to and respects the thoughts and ideas of young people
- Someone who offers patience, support and enthusiasm to a young person
Who is a Mentor??
You are! Be a Friend! Be a Mentor!
Make the connection…
Big Brothers Big Sisters has a variety of volunteer opportunities available.
Volunteers participate in one of our two primary programs.
- Community Based Mentoring: For as little as two hours twice a month, Bigs and Littles meet in their community to share fun activities….stories…and a little bit of themselves.
- School and Site-based Mentoring: Bigs and Littles meet once a week in schools, libraries and community centers, to talk and have fun! It’s not about being a tutor…it’s about being a friend.
To learn more or to volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters, connect with your local agency by clicking on the Affiliate button or calling 813-621-1188. A professional staff member from your community will contact you about your interests, match you with your Little, and be there throughout the relationship to assure it is safe and rewarding.